A Tax on Carbon?

Carbon pollution entering the atmosphere.

courtesy of, environmental leaders

Joey Huckaby, Staff Writer

Every day humans pump nearly 38.2 billions tons of carbon into the atmosphere.

That is 2.4 million pounds per second Industrialized countries such as the United States and China are the main culprits of this sad reality. However, states and cities within the U.S. have played around with a carbon tax as a remedy.
Boulder, Colorado voters enacted a carbon tax in 2009. The average family in Boulder pays $21 a for carbon tax. 1.8 millions dollars a year is poured back into the city because of this tax. Experts expect that over time the tax will fade itself out as more people switch to renewable.
Most carbon pollution comes from automobiles. The good thing about a carbon tax is that the burden would not be put on the automakers but instead the consumers.
Supporters for a carbon tax from the Carbon Tax Center state that only 36 cents would be added to a gallon of gas.
Yes, that does sound like a large increase, especially when considering that the entire United States economy relies on gasoline. However, those 36 cent will drive down consumption while those who continue to buy gas it won’t kill their budgets.
The American Energy Alliance debunks a carbon tax by saying on their webpage that it will increase the price of energy and in return it will increase the price of goods. Lastly on there website they say most of the public doesn’t agree with a carbon tax, yet these polls usually target older generations. Our generation, generation Z, is more open to saving our environment.
Both sides of the debate can agree that our climate is getting warmer. One believes it’s a direct cause while the other believes it’s a part of nature. Regardless of which side you are on, it’s always good to do something for your environment.
It may take years for Congress to realize the actions we need to take to protect our environment. Unfortunately we may not be in time to save our earth, but if you want to help today, you can either follow an elaborate carbon tax and donate your “tax” to an environmental fund, carpool, or write to your congressman or women.