Finding Your Element is Essential

Courtesy of Wohani, Flickr

Yamilex Venzor, Rookie Reporter

Entering college is a huge step all in its own.

It’s easier for those who already have a career in mind, but for those who don’t, it’s a tough transition. 

Finding a career is often translated to finding something that makes you more money than you can count. Instead, we should encourage students to find their element.What is an element? It’s something that makes you lose track of time, whether it be reading, playing sports, watching films, or designing clothes. Your element is something that is your inspiration, your muse.

So how do you find your element? Think of a subject or hobby you enjoy. It has to be something you’re not dreading to do. This has to be something that lights a fire in you and makes the whole world disappear when you’re doing it.

You can start off by trying out different classes in high school. That’s how Olivia Alejano-Steele found her passion for biology and currently takes AP Biology. She’s said the following about her element, “Looking at the world down to the microscopic level is enlightening and fascinating.” It’s about finding something that makes you happy.

Arik Heim a social studies teacher, understands that finding your element is difficult. Before he was a teacher, he was a lawyer and gives everybody who is struggling this piece of advice: “I don’t think people need to be in a hurry to find their element; statistics show people are living longer anyway.”

Once you find said element, you can develop it into a career. For example, your love for organization can lead you to being a party planner. Or maybe your love for debate could turn you into a paralegal or lawyer.

If you’re not sure that you have an element, you can always go spend the first two years of college exploring courses you like until something catches your attention.

College is a time of growth and spending your time being miserable over a career that isn’t your thing would defeat the purpose of college.

Many find the notion that you’ll find a career you thoroughly enjoy and get a good compensation unrealistic, but the truth is that the world is constantly changing and we cant be sure of the careers that will exist in the future.

A report by Dell Technologies estimates that 85%  of the jobs that will exist in 2030 haven’t been invented yet.

So maybe your love for analyzing old poetry feels useless because it’s not “conventional” but analyzing old poetry can unlock useful information about the past. Every single element has a use try thinking outside of the box and search for it!

Whatever you choose to do after high school, whether it’s college, joining the army, or continuing a job, your element should be a big part of your future.