Brett Kavanaugh is Welcomed with Resistance

Yamilex Venzor, Rookie Reporter

On July 2nd, President Donald Trump interviewed Brett Kavanaugh and three other U.S court of appeals judges who could potentially replace retiring Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy.

On July 8th President Trump nominated Kavanaugh for Supreme Court.

During this time, psychology professor Christine Blasey Ford contacted the Washington Post with allegations that Kavanagh had sexually assaulted her in the 1980s when they were in high school. Two other women also came forward and accused him of sexual misconduct, but Kavanaugh denied the allegations.

A hearing was provided by the Senate Judiciary Committee on Sept. 24 as well as an FBI investigation.

On Oct. 4, it was announced that thte FBI found no evidence of Ford’s allegations, despite the fact that Ford had passed a polygraph test.

On Oct. 6 Kavanaugh was sworn in as the 114th Justice of the Supreme Court.

Kavanaugh’s rise to supreme court leader after a serious allegation has left people wondering if the allegation was actually taken into consideration. Because of his election, there is a new political landscape in the Supreme Court. Four of the nine judges are more liberal, while five are more conservative.

People who opposed his election have traveled to Washington, D.C. to protest the new justice. Some have visited senators and asked about their fears of losing health insurance and access to safe, legal abortions.

Kavanaugh’s office has since been flooded by protesters who have survived sexual assault. Posters with “Sexual Violence is a Crime” and “We Believe Survivors” written on them are a few of the hundreds that were seen in Washington carried by protesters.

The president, who nominated Kavanaugh, was asked if he believed Dr. Ford and insinuated that he did not said the following, “I’m not going to get into it, because we won. It doesn’t matter. We won.”  Many are rightfully angry at the president’s comment.

While most Republicans say they believe Dr. Ford is a victim of sexual assault, they think she has just mixed up the details according to the Huffington Post.

Kavanaugh’s election has caused a huge rift between the political parties. Those who are against his election feel as if the system has failed them. A Supreme Court judge accused of sexual assault is a sore subject for those who supported him. They argue that there is insufficient evidence and a long time has passed to convict Kavanaugh. It has become more than a sexual assault allegation. It has turned America into a divided country.