CHSAA Suspends Spring Sports Until the Month of April

Bailey Duplessis, Sports Editor

As many know by now, the Colorado High School Athletics Association (CHSAA) has suspended spring sports and activities until April  6.

This is according to CHSAA Commissioner Rhonda Blanford-Green who announced this on Thursday, March 12. This is because of the concerns surrounding the on-going COVID-19 pandemic, better known as the Coronavirus.

Athletes around Wheat Ridge High School are reacting to the news. One senior athlete said, “This is unwarranted at the moment, and the fact that they did it this early is a mistake and an overreaction to a problem that is not as severe as the media is making it out to be.” 

Most are very unhappy; a sophomore athlete and violinist said, “The school said they wouldn’t cancel anything. I know this is a district decision, but honestly, I don’t think it’s that big of a deal. There are 33 cases [as of March 12] in Colorado, and yes, it’s contagious and potentially deadly, but what is canceling sports going to do? This is taking away something that is fun and for some of us it matters a lot and helps with mental health.”

Obviously we can see that people are not happy.  Seniors are feeling “stripped” of their final spring semester, said a senior athlete. There are so many emotions on social media and in the hallways of Wheat Ridge High School about this recent news. 

Some believe this is a good idea. Sophomore Gracie Frank, who is a track and field participant said, “I think it’s for the better, we don’t want anyone to get sick. Yeah it’s sad and I feel really bad for the seniors, but it’s better than everyone getting the virus.”

Former Wheat Ridge exchange student Sarah Anthun, who played soccer in her time in the 18-19 school year, said, “I definitely think its the right thing to do, and honestly so good for you guys that your country is acting before it gets worse and out of control. In Norway, our schools and kindergartens are just closed for a minimum of two weeks, the malls are closing earlier, we are told not to use public transportation and every senior event for our senior tradition ‘Russ’ is canceled. It’s good to take these measures even though they are annoying before it gets way worse.”

There are many different reactions to these cancellations, some positive and some negative. So many people are being affected by this all around the world.

Yes, the district is taking many precautions to make sure their students are safe. However, canceling high school sports where you are playing with 25-30 people and at competitions, there aren’t many people coming to watch that would be considered a “big group of people.” Stay safe during this virus and during this suspension from sports and school. Make sure to wash your hands, don’t touch your face, and drink lots of water.