How to Stay Active During Quarantine

A+beautiful+young+Dexter+out+for+a+walk%2C+his+favorite+activity.+

By Bailey Duplessis

A beautiful young Dexter out for a walk, his favorite activity.

Bailey Duplessis, Sports Editor

Everyone is stuck at home and is wondering, how am I going to keep in shape with all the gyms closed or not having a gym class at school?

Others are also wanting to get in shape. This is a guide for how you can keep active during the quarantine. These workouts and activities are very basic things you can do right in your home or in your backyard.

If you are a person who is having really bad anxiety with all of that is going around in the world then, maybe try some yoga. Yoga is a great way to practice your breathing and relaxing the body. You don’t need to be flexible, have a mat, or a block. All you need is a video to help guide you through a flow, which you can find all on YouTube. “Keeping the body and the breath moving during times of stress is key to destroying any anxious bugs that may exist in the head or the heart.  These anxious bugs like to hang out in your muscles and in the deepest part of your lungs. If you sit still for too long and keep a shallow breath, you are fueling those little critters. The only way to get them out is through a little sweat and full breaths,” said Alison Murphy who is a yoga and English teacher at Wheat Ridge High School. 

Also, Kay Landon, Haystack adviser, and English teacher said, “I use Yoga with Adriene on YouTube. She has yoga sessions for everyone from beginners to expert athletes to equestrians–for those Westernaires who can’t get to the stables.” So there are many options available.

Another great thing you can do is take your pet for a walk around your neighborhood. All you need for this is your pet, a facemask, and a leash. In the Public Safety Alert sent to phones on March 25, which states, “Everyone needs to stay at home except to go to an essential workplace, seek necessary medical care, or do an essential task like going to the grocery store or walking a pet.” So you are still allowed to go for a quick walk around the block, all you need to remember is keep your social distancing to a minimum of six feet. Don’t have a pet? No need to worry, you can still get out and go for a run but you need to keep the same guidelines as before. Wear a facemask and keep your six-foot distance. 

You can stay active while inside your house by downloading some fitness apps that give you a workout whenever you would like. Or find some workout videos on YouTube, which are always paired with fun music and people who encourage you throughout the workout.  I personally use MadFIt on YouTube for videos and Home Workout for Women – Female Fitness. If you have kids or siblings, get them on it too!

The backyard is a great place to get out of the house and soak in the rays. Play with a pet back there, kick/throw a ball, Tug-O-War, or play keep-away.  Maybe you can even learn a new trick, like how to do a cartwheel. If you have a trampoline left from your younger years, you can always get on there and jump around. You could also just do some basic yard work like mowing the lawn or picking up trash or sticks.

Encourage your family to get in on working out, it can help keep everyone sane in these times of insanity. While keeping active, just remember to stay safe by washing your hands when you come inside and wearing a facemask if you decide to leave home. Do not use exercise as an excuse to meet up with friends; stay with your family to keep them and other families safe. Wishing you and your family healthy times!