Patriots Win Fourth Super Bowl; Seattle’s Heart Broken

By Joe Schnebly

Since the end of the AFC Conference Championship game between the Indianapolis Colts and the New England Patriots, there has been controversy over the fact that the Patriots had deflated their footballs; the media called it, deflate-gate.

This came after 11 of the 12 footballs used by the Pats in the first half of the AFC championship were found to be underinflated.

However, the media forgot to mention that the Pats out-scored the Colts 28-0 in the second half after the balls were re-inflated to regulation size. The Patriots went on to beat the Colts 45-7 and went on to face defending Super Bowl champions Seattle Seahawks, who had a comeback win during the NFC Championship against the Green Bay Packers.

Sunday, February 1, also known as Super Bowl Sunday the Seahawks won the coin toss and elected to start the second half with the ball. However, the Patriots got the ball at the start of the game and had a quick three-and-out and punted the ball to Seattle. The Seahawks also had a quick three-and-out. This was the most exciting part of the first quarter; neither team had scored until the second quarter.

The Pats started off the scoring with a 11-yard pass from Tom Brady to Brandon LaFell at 9:47. The Seahawks then came back with a three yard run from Marshawn Lynch. The game was now tied but with 31 seconds left in the half. The Patriots scored with a 22 yard pass from Brady to Rob Gronkowski making it 14-7. It looked like that would be the end of the half but the Seahawks went on a drive and scored with just two seconds left, tying the game at 14.

After halftime, Seattle came out and took the third quarter away from the Pats. The Seahawks scored twice, once with a 27-yard field goal and with a three-yard pass from Russell Wilson to Chris Matthews. At the end of the third quarter, the score was 24-14.

At the start of the fourth quarter, it seemed like the Seahawks’ number-one defense would hold the Patriots’ number-one offense. However, the Pats scored at 7:55 with a four-yard pass from Brady to Danny Amendola, cutting the score to 24-21. The Pats then came back to score just seconds before the two minute warning with another three-yard pass from Brady to Julian Edelman making it a 28-24 game.

The Seahawks were not going let the game end without a fight. They had a spectacular catch, down at the five yard line. They hurried down the field and ran the ball but only got four yards out of it. The whole team was discombobulated and the Seahawks wasted 40 seconds to try and get the touchdown. All they needed to do was give the ball to Lynch, and they would have become world champs once again. Stupidly, they decided to throw the ball, and Patriots cornerback Malcolm Butler intercepted the ball and single handedly saved the game for the Patriots. The Patriots won their fourth Super Bowl title, and quarterback Tom Brady was awarded with his third Super Bowl MVP.