Girls Basketball Looking for a Spark

Waniyetu+Irving+getting+ready+to+take+a+free+throw.+%0Aphoto+courtesy+by+Devin+Howard+
Waniyetu Irving getting ready to take a free throw. photo courtesy by Devin Howard

By Devin Howard

The Wheat Ridge High School’s girls basketball team hasn’t got off to a very hot start this season.

With a record of 2-10, nine games left in the season, and being 256th in the Colorado girls basketball rankings, the Lady Farmers main focus is to improve as the season progresses.

Head coach Heather McAdams has coached for 18 years but was previously sidelined for three years, she has now stepped up to lead the team.

McAdams said, “It’s been fun and exciting, I know these girls but I don’t know them on another level as far as basketball goes. It’s been fun getting able to know these girls on their work ethic, how they handle adversity, and how they come together as a team.”

The Lady Farmers are currently on a nine-game losing streak. They suffered a loss Jan. 13 in a turnover of a game to Standley Lake with a twenty point loss (58-38). The Lady Farmers had only taken 8 free throws compared to Standley Lake’s 36 and lost the turnover game as well. Twenty-three turnovers for the Farmers and twenty for Standley Lake.

Sophomore Layla Castillo led the Lady Farmers, scoring that game with 13 points while their regular scoring leaders, Susan Whitney (11.8 ppg) and Shayla Rogers (8.1ppg) didn’t have their best game, only scoring a combined 15 points (7 for Shayla  and 8 for Susan).

The Lady Farmers also lost to Evergreen by 26 points (66-40) on Friday night. Susan Whitney was the Lady Farmers leading scorer with 16 points (4-11 shooting) and again the Lady Farmers lost in the turnover category, with 28 for WR and 13 for the Rams, but the Farmers had a better free-throw percentage 17-24 71% for the Rams and 21-23 74%.

The Lady Farmers have three crucial must-win games against Arvada, Golden, and Evergreen. With a rivalry game coming up in the near future (vs. Golden at Golden Saturday) Jan.23 at 3 p.m. the girls are hard at work preparing.