Free Kesha

Free+Kesha

By Alyssah Shear

In 2005 at the age of 18, Kesha Rose Sebert was signed into the music career by Lukasz Sebastian Gottwald, better know as Dr. Luke. Kesha filed a lawsuit against Gottwald in 2014 stating that Gottwald had drugged and raped her, but Gottwald denies ever having sex with Kesha.

“I didn’t rape Kesha and I have never had sex with her. Kesha and I were friends for many years and she was like my little sister,” tweeted Gottwald on Friday after the judge ruled Gottwald innocent and said that Kesha was not permitted to leave from her contract with Sony.

Her producing company has claimed that Kesha has not been working with Gottwald for quite some time and that no one was forcing her to work with him; they were willing to let her work with any of their other producers.

After Gottwald was found  innocent many of Kesha’s fans started to fight for her by protesting with signs and Facebook posts reading “ Free Kesha.” The protests continue to grow as other celebrities step up to support Kesha. Taylor Swift, Demi Lovato, Lady Gaga, and Lorde are some of the best-known supporters at this time. Although most of the support has been through facebook, twitter, and other social media, Taylor Swift went further and donated $250,000 to Kesha.

After reading through several sources, I personally believe that Kesha is being truthful. Yes, she wants out of her contract with Sony, but I do not believe that she would lie about such a sensitive subject just for that. Gottwald should have gotten consequences for his wrongdoings, and this situation just proves that there are still individuals who believe that a woman should not have rights to their own bodies. Although there was evidence to both sides, the judge should have released Kesha from her contract, not only because remaining in the contract could cause more emotional damage but because it should be her right to do as she wishes and leave as she pleases. Free Kesha from her unwanted producer and let her live her life the way she would like.