Flat Earth Theories Get Around

Flat Earth Theories Get Around

By Landon Stokes

As if he were in a 15th century comedy play, rapper Bobby Ray Simmons, better known as B.o.B, has taken to Twitter over the last couple weeks determined to “enlighten” the public about the real shape of the earth.

According to B.o.B, the Earth is actually, flat, and the idea of a spherical earth and heliocentric solar system are the biggest lies ever told to the public. Posting numerous pictures depicting the absence of the earth’s curvature and even going to far as to release a diss track aimed at astrophysicist Neil DeGrasse Tyson, the rapper seems to be rooted in his regressed theory. Popular opinion is that B.o.B is an idiot who has no idea what he’s talking about, and there’s definitely some truth in that, but he’s not the first celebrity to stir up controversy with their anti-intellectual or wacky theories. As you may recall, actress and songwriter Tila Tequila stormed Twitter with her flat-earth theories not too long ago. And let’s not forget Tom Cruise and his band of Scientologists. So it’s not like B.o.B is the first person with public influence to spew nonsense, and it’s likely that he won’t be the last. Personally, I don’t think celebrity flat-earthers actually believe in what they’re preaching. It’s hard to fathom that someone could be locked into a centuries-old regressive way of thinking like that. It seems like a publicity stunt more than anything, and a really good one at that. B.o.B argued with a renowned astrophysicist on a public forum. Even if he looks like an idiot, there’s no way for him to lose in that scenario. So although B.o.B seems like an ignoramus for thinking the earth is flat, it’s just as silly to jump on the celebrity hate-wagon without some critical thinking.