Vinyl Makes a Revival

Photo Courtesy of Cecily Hill

By Cecily Hill

In terms of modern society, one could infer that nearly every American has owned an Apple product such as an iPod.

Prior to Apple was the MP3 Player, then CDs, cassettes and so on. But it all started with the vinyl record. These prehistoric forms of technology are being uncovered more each day by none other than younger generations.

In fact, vinyl is making such a tremendous comeback that the Record Store Day organization participates in Back to Black Friday, allowing record stores access to limited editions of exclusive releases to redirect attention to the advancement of vinyl record notoriety. Back to Black Friday is the organization’s Black Friday special when all sorts of releases are showcased. Consequently, all sorts of people are attracted to such deals.  From older folks to young families, from high school students to college students, everyone wants to be a part of this unique event. Even record store staff emanated a distinct excitement despite having to go to work to deal with customers yet again.

As surprising as it may seem, some record stores were less crammed than anticipated on a day such as Black Friday; Twist and Shout on Colfax was nearly filled wall-to-wall with anxious vinyl-hoarders, whereas Wax Trax was nearly empty enough for the drop of a record player needle to be heard.

In addition to Back to Black Friday, the third Saturday of April is dedicated to the vinyl community. Known as “Record Store Day,” this day serves as a reminder of how unique the vinyl record has become. Among the various products featured on Record Store Day are rare vinyl releases and performances, parades and live DJs are only the beginning of the wide selection of festivities taking place.

The Record Store Day organization spends 364 days of the year arranging contests and other events involving the music industry, so evidently a great deal of effort is put into this celebration, even you may have the opportunity to participate! However, these contests do hold age restrictions, but maybe next year, right?

Many factors are responsible for the revival of vinyl. Older generations most likely grew up listening to vinyl, whereas younger generations, often referred to as “hipsters,” might be attempting to create a particular statement about their personal taste.

When asked why he likes vinyl, Wheat Ridge High School sophomore Tommy Miller says, “Because it makes me feel cooler than everyone else, I guess.” He continues to explain that “It sounds like you’re there with the band and the quality is crisp.”

Do you consider yourself a vinyl enthusiast? Are you curious as to what vinyl is all about? If either of these questions applies to you, don’t forget to visit your favorite participating record stores on Black Friday or the third Saturday of April. And remember to bring your money because once you go vinyl, there’s no going back.