Threats Surround 2014 Winter Olympic Games

By Efren Acevedo

The Winter Olympics are known for being an event when cultures come together to compete and share peace.

However, there has been notable terrorist activity within Russia leading up to the 2014 games in Sochi. The suspected terrorists are using the Winter Olympics as their platform and with all the threats being recieved, it has been difficult to tell which threats pose a real danger.

The U.S. team has been warned to not wear their uniform outside of their hotel and events and some of the athletes’ families are choosing to not travel to Sochi due to the threats. In order to avoid any casualties, Russia has stepped up their security.

Despite promises of tighter security at the Olympic Games, people have been on alert for terrorism since Dec 29. Two suicide attacks have killed 34 people in Volgograd, about 435 miles north of Sochi. A militant Islamic group in Russia’s North Caucasus claimed responsibility in a video posted on an Islamic website. Since this is the first time that Russia will host the Winter Olympics, these events have come as a shock. Until now no other threats have been made in other countries.

There was a recent video made by the Islamic Jihad Union, which is an ally of Al-Qaeda, the terrorist group based in Pakistan. In the video, a speaker identified as Amin Amu Usama warns, “Satan is with you. He will betray you in the most inconvenient moment, and this is close.” In the video, Usama compares the “Putin Olympics” to Hitler’s 1936 summer games in Berlin. Russian officials are also on the lookout for three potential female suicide bombers. One of them is said to be at large in Sochi, her name is speculated to be Ruzanna Ibragimova, a 22—year—old “black widow.” The term black widow refers to the belief that women who have carried out past suicide attacks in Russia did so to avenge their husbands deaths.

The biggest concern facing the Winter Olympics is the Northern Caucasus, Sochi’s neighbor to the east. This region is home to separatists who for years have waged a war of independence from Russia. In Volograd’s recent bombings, experts in northern Sochi are on high alert. In the event of an attack, the U.S. has two ships in the Black Sea ready in case an evacuation becomes necessary.

Another topic that concerns many traveling to Russia, is that the nation has passed an anti-gay law. Many questions have been brought up, such as How will this affect the Olympic athletes? and, Does this mean gays are not allowed to attend the Olympics? According to the Russian legislation, a hefty fine will be imposed for providing information about the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community to minors or holding gay pride rallies. Breaking the law will carry a fine of up to 5,000 rubles (equivalent to $156) for an individual and up to 1 million rubles ($31,000) for media organizations. This means that as long as the athletes or spectators do not try to persuade people—including children—to be gay, there will be no consequences for the person or group.

The Olympics will last from February 7 to the 27. With all of the threats, hopefully there will not be any surprises.