Top 20 Seniors: Kelly Hutchins

By Vanessa Sims

Photo by Kelly Hutchins
Photo by Kelly Hutchins

“Don’t be afraid to be different. High school is a tough place to hold your own personality, but it isn’t impossible. Be happy with yourself, be kind, and don’t be afraid of saying no, and do what makes you happy.”

These are the wise words from fellow Farmer and Top 20 Senior Kelly Hutchins.

Hutchins is smart, athletic, and adventurous. She wants to travel the world, “free of expense.” Traveling outside the U.S. is very valuable to Hutchins; it’s important “to experience other people’s culture,” she says.

When it comes to activities, Hutchins was team captain for her swim team and was named head guard at Applewood Knolls. She enjoys staying active with running, traveling, ceramics, and more. In the summer, she lifeguards, swims, and simply enjoys the outdoors.

Hutchins’ friends and family say she is unique because she participates in several things at once and excels at them, and she has great social skills. “My teachers influence me the most,” she says, “I admire them and strive to complete their classes.”

If she could relive her high school years, she would have focused more on academics and sports: “I wish I could have started out stronger than I did.” Hutchins will miss the bonds between teachers and students and the ability to try for varsity.

“I believe my one best quality is tenacity. I’m a persistent person no matter the task. I always set my goals high.” In saying this, during her Capstone presentation, Hutchins actually started crying. She decided to pick a personal topic, one that meant a lot and one that she believed could make people understand. “I didn’t realize how emotional trying to explain the topic to others would be; I totally broke down while speaking. It not only embarrassed me, but it made me realize how much I truly cared about my topic.” This would be her most memorable moment yet.

Chemistry teacher Dean Miller and math teacher Janet Villani have been Hutchins’ greatest influences. Miller “has a calm and inspiring attitude about everything.”  Villani always gave “pep talks about anything and everything.” She thanks them for all their help and guidance.

This fall, Hutchins will attend the Colorado State University Honors Program to pursue her dream. She will also take pre-med classes and eventually move to medical school. Good luck Kelly!