Joe Whitney

Joe Whitney posing against a fence.

Fire Noonan, Rookie Reporter

Joe Whitney is the epitome of a role model student.

Playing soccer and track for all his years at high school, he managed to claim the title of captain on the soccer team and track team during his junior year and has held the position since. He also became captain of the volleyball team at the same time.

A senate member and a tutor, Whitney has shown obvious leadership skills and continues to do so. Whitney says that being a Studen Body Officer in student council has drastically improved and shaped his leadership skills. Whitney’s biggest influence in his high school years, is without a doubt, math teacher and soccer coach Kendra Gothard. Whitney says, “I do not think I have met a more compassionate, caring, and loving person. Kendra has made a huge inpact on my life and I would not be here today without her.”

Whitney says if he could relive his high school years, he would take ceramics earlier in high school and appreciate soccer more as it’s coming to an end. His favorite memory from high school would be winning the last soccer game of the season. If Whitney could have one wish, he would want every dog to receive a warm and comfortable home. Whitney’s biggest dream is to one day travel to space. It’s been a dream of his ever since he was a child. He believes his best quality is his dedication and commitment to his desired tasks. He’s also always trying his best, regardless of what he’s doing.

In his personal life, Whitney says his family has inspired and influenced him the most. He gives credit to his parents for establishing his strong morals and his siblings for showing him and encouraging his interests in life. Whitney’s family and friends think his most unique quality is his love for the 2009 film Avatar and his dedication to name all of his ceramic pieces after the movie.

Whitney’s favorite movies are Interstellar and The Martian. He enjoys the films because of their plots involving space and says they’re exceptional movies. His favorite foods are cheese fondue, Chipotle, and Italian food like pasta and pizza. Whitney’s hobbies are soccer, volleyball, and throwing ceramics.

Whitney has been accepted into Colorado School of Mines and is planning to attend next year. He’s majoring in electrical engineering and minoring in aerospace engineering.